Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Grandson's First Magnum: 2009 Ridge Monte Bello




On October 20, 2009, my daughter and son-in-law, Lindsay and Clay, gave me the greatest blessing of all, my first grandchild. He's a big boy and carries the mighty name of Sanders Petty Rhodes. As his grandfather, I decided to start his wine collection. My daughter and son-in-law can handle college. I have the fun stuff covered. In my crazy thinking, everyone should have a few or more bottles (magnums,1.5 liters) of outstanding wine from their birth year to have for those special celebrations--graduations, weddings, new job, new promotion, sunsets... And with his hearty laugh can you imagine the delight that he will be around the dinner table.

As Sanders' self-appointed cellarmaster, today, I acquired the futures (delivery in 2011) on a magnum of the 2009 Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello, one of the original classic California Bordeaux blends. Magnums are best for long term purposes because of the juice ages much slower. "Sanders, your collection has begun!" Votre Sante!

With an outstanding vintage in 2009 in France, age worthy treasurers from Burgundy, Bordeaux and the Rhone valley will be on my shopping list as they become available. Now, since I need to be there to enjoy this fine wine with my grandson in 21+ years, I'm off to the gym.


2 comments:

Jacqueline Chambliss FWS | WSET Certified said...

Too cute! and a great wine selection to boot..

Bill Sanders said...

Jacqueline, he's a big one too. I wish someone had put some Monte Bello away for me.